How to celebrate Christmas, the ecofriendly way.

I take my lead from nature at Christmas. She takes a rest and hibernates in the middle of winter. I, too, look on the wonderful break from work as a time to rest, reflect and recharge for the coming year. I have a wonderfully busy life as a media environmentalist and charity worker, with the usual plethora of e-mails, telephone calls, deadlines, paperwork, text messages, interviews and so on. I will often spend Christmas Day quietly by myself at home, with a simple lunch of veggie pie and roast potatoes and some organic Christmas cake for afters. To me, a day by myself away from the hurly-burly is sheer bliss.

But Christmas is also meant to be a time of peace and goodwill towards our fellow tenants on the planet. It is crucial that the way you celebrate the festivities not only fosters love between you and those close to you, but is also not causing troubles for others on the planet. With the climate crisis bearing down upon us, we Britons need to cut our CO2 emissions by 80 per cent to stop the planet burning up. However, our modern Christmas celebrations have become an orgy of consumption, almost every aspect of which involves copious CO2 emissions. Not wishing to be a seasonal spoil-sport, I am going to set out here how you could have a wonderful and loving Christmas, and still reduce your festive CO2 emissions by 80 per cent.


Tag : , .